Saturday, August 6, 2011

It's Saturday morning... again

Saturday mornings have special memories for me...
When I was a little girl, we played "church" on Saturday mornings, in preparation for Sunday. My mother played for several "country" churches, in addition to working with the choir at our church. We stayed in church ALL DAY on Sundays, so you would have thought that we wouldn't even want to think about church on Saturdays, but we did. My sister played the piano and directed the choir (me) in singing the hymns. I never learned to play the piano, even though I took lessons for years (but that's another story), so Anna could have that job! Mama and Granny listened, but they weren't really a part of the service. Daddy escaped by going to work! We "sang with fervor" all the hymns that Anna could play, and even those that she couldn't! We sang loud... and on summer Saturdays, we had all the windows and doors open!! (We didn't have air conditioning) People who were catching the city bus (the bus stop was right in front of my house) would turn and look, shake their heads, and probably hope the bus would hurry up!
After we had sung so many hymns that even Mama, who never tired of hearing and making music, said "enough", it was my turn to give my contribution to the service. I was the preacher, and I had always prepared a sermon. If course, the Bible stories that we were used to hearing had to have my own special "spin"... after all, I am a writer, and it is my duty to compose new and different works of literature, but I'm not really sure it wasn't complete blasphemy, the way I told the stories. "Suffer the children to come unto me" became... "and Jesus said, 'bring them children on in here'"! And they woke the children up, who were sleeping because that's what they did in church when they got bored, listening to the grown people talking, and not being able to say anything because their parents would whip them if they made noise in church. They brought them in and looked them over. And then Jesus said, the grown people would have to be like children if they wanted to get to heaven... and then he laughed, and the children laughed, because He knew the grown folks couldn't be like children. They were just too old!! And then Jesus told them to go on home and try to act like children!!
When my sermon was over, we sang a hymn and "went out and got some olives"! (We didn't have a clue about what The Mount of Olives was... but we had Mt. Olive pickles and olives in the refrigerator!)LOL
Those were great days and great times!
Have a great day, people!!

No comments:

Post a Comment